The American Legion launched a new site with terrific content about the new GI Bill. I talked to Jeff Stoffer yesterday evening at the Legion. Jeff is the editor of the American Legion Magazine. The Legion continues to provide meaningful services and content to America’s veterans.
Highlights of the new GI Bill site include:
- The effective date for the changes is August 1, 2009.
- Provide “up-front” tuition vouchers directly to educational institutions veterans are attending.
- Provide a book allowance of $1,000 per year.
- Deliver a monthly living stipend, based on the local cost of living, to most veterans.
- Extend the window of time to use the benefit from 10 years to 15 after discharge or separation.
These are great improvements and there are quite a few more found in the bill. Thanks toSen. James Webb, D-Va. (a great former Marine and Secretary of the Navy), and Rep. Harry Mitchell, D-Ariz.